Obtaining Past Tax Returns

Show Table of Contents

A recent tax return for the decedent can be very helpful in discovering assets and debts, and in filing any current tax forms.

If you cannot easily find a recent return in the decedent's papers, or obtain one from the decedent's lawyer or tax accountant, then you can request access from the CRA:

  • Go to CRA: Represent a Client and sign in or register
  • As part of the process, you will have to send the CRA documentation such as a death certificate, the deceased's SIN, and a copy of the will or a Grant of Letters
  • Send a request in writing to a Tax Centre, putting the words "The Estate of the Late" in front of the deceased person's name
  • You can also call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to ask about previous year returns
In Quebec, you can request past returns from Revenue Québec after registering as the estate liquidator with Revenue Québec.

See also CRA: Estate Legal Representative.

Copyright © 2014-24 EstateExec